Foods NOT to FEED your DOG
Often I share my food with my two dogs. I go by the rule, if it’s good and healthy for me, it must be good for my dog. Little did I know that some of the healthy food for us humans is toxic to our dogs. I want to share a list of these dangerous foods with all you dog lovers who might be making the same mistake as I was!
1. Chocolate is on the top of the list of No-No’s! The darker the chocolate the worse it is due to the caffeine and theobromine in it. It can cause dehydration, stomach upset and pain and muscle tremors. Chocolate can also cause irregular heart beats, seizure and death.
2. Milk contains sugar which cannot be broken down by a dog’s enzymes. It can lead to gastrointestinal problems, diarrhea and vomiting.
3. Onions can damage your dog’s red blood cells causing them to become weak. If your dog eats too much onion, it might need a blood transfusion.
4. Garlic is another bad thing! Very toxic and can lead to the need for a blood transfusion. (which by the way my Dog LOVES garlic)
5. Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure. Symptoms are lethargy, vomiting and diarrhea. Death can occur within a couple days.
6. Avocados can cause stomach upset, breathing problems and can lead to fluid build up in the chest. The avocado pit is the most lethal. No guacamole for your dog!!
7. Apple, Plum, Peach and Pear Cores contain cyanide! Eating the cores of these pitted fruits can cause dizziness, inability to breath and seizures. Your dog can go into shock or into a coma.
8. Caffeine can cause heart palpitations, restlessness, vomiting and can lead to death.
9. Hold the Bacon!! The high fat content in bacon can lead to pancreatitis in dogs.
10. The stems and leaves of tomatoes are toxic and green tomatoes are higher in tomatine which is poisonous. Red tomatoes are safer but better to avoid.
Please keep your dog healthy and learn that not all healthy foods for us are healthy for our dogs!