This is a great fall pear recipe that is super easy to make. And would be perfect to give to friends and family as a healthy holiday gift. I love giving homemade treats during the holidays. Especially when they are both delicious and healthy!
This brown sugar pear butter starts with using ripe Bartlett pears. You can tell when a Bartlett pear is ripe when the skin turns golden yellow. You can push your thumb on the neck of the pear and feel it a little soft. Bartlett Pears are excellent sources of vitamins and nutrients
This pear butter is perfect on toast, bagels or you can add it to your morning oatmeal or Greek yogurt! Another idea is to spread it on your waffle or healthy pancake!
What You Need:
5 large Bartlett pears
1.5 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup filtered water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (best flavor when added at the end of the cooking process)
pinch of the following spices:
What To Do:
1. Add clean quartered and cored pears to a heavy pan. Add 1/4 cup of water.
2. Cover and Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes until pears have softened. Remove from heat and mash pears until mushy.
3. Put pears into a food mill and crank until there is only the pear skins left. Throw skins away.
4. Add pear puree back in pan. Add half of the brown sugar to the pear mixture.
5. Cook for one hour over low heat. Add vanilla extract.
6. Take a wide mouth funnel and spoon pear butter into hot sterilized glass mason jars. Refrigerate and enjoy!