Foods That Protect You Against Cancer
We have all heard that eating a minimum of 5 servings of fruits and veggies every day can make you healthier and help with maintaining a healthy weight. Researchers are now finding that there are some foods that are not only “healthy” but they can actually protect you from Cancer.
Let’s take a look at which foods can’t help your body fight cancer:
1. Garlic. It doesn’t just protect you against vampires but the more garlic you eat, the less likely you are apt to develop certain cancers like esophageal, stomach and colon cancer. Experts are not sure exactly why this is so but garlic may prevent cancer cells from multiplying or prevent the cancer cells from working. So, forget about your breathe smelling offensive and add more garlic to your diet.
2. Berries. All colors of berries, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries all contain powerful antioxidants that prevent the creation of free radicals which are naturally created by our bodies that damage our cells. Berries are great for breakfast, snack time or for dessert!
3. Tomatoes. They contain the antioxidant lycopene which help guard the DNA in your cells from damage that can lead to cancer. Cooked tomatoes may be a better way for your body to absorb the lycopene so a fresh tomato sauce over whole grain pasta is a great way to lower your risk of cancer.
4. Cruciferous Veggies. Veggies like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts protect your body against free radical damage and may help slow the growth of tumors. These veggies may also protect you from chemicals that cause cancer. Add them to your salads, breakfast omelette and stir fry!
5. Green tea. Loaded with antioxidants, the catechins in tea can shrink tumors and reduce tumor cell growth. Drink Green Tea cold or hot, tastes great too!
6. Whole Grains. The fiber and antioxidants make whole grains like barley, brown rice, whole wheat bread and pasta great choices to lower your risk of cancer, specifically colorectal cancer.
7. Tumeric. This Indian, orange spice has curcumin which may help reduce cancer risk by preventing cancer cells from spreading and may shrink tumors.
8. Leafy green veggies. Spinach, kale and lettuces are packed with lutein, beta carotene and antioxidants which may limit the growth of some types of cancer cells. Collard greens and mustard greens are also part of the healthy leafy green veggie family. Cooked or raw in a juice or smoothie is great!
9. Red Grapes. The red color found in the grapes, grape juice and red wine contain reservatrol which is a powerful antioxidant. The National Cancer Institute studies show that reservatrol limits the growth of many kinds of cancer cells and can lower the risk of prostate cancer. While red wine has reservatrol, it needs to be drank in moderation to get the health benefits. More is not better.
10. Beans. Pinto and Red Kidney Beans are high in fiber and antioxidants and may reduce cancer risk. Great in salads, chile and as a side dish for outdoor barbecue.