Drinking Bone Broth is one of the latest trends so I decided to look into why it has become so popular. Because I don’t eat meat, I thought I would not be able to enjoy the health benefits associated with drinking bone broth. The first thing I learned was you can make bone broth out of fish, chicken or beef. There is also a bone broth powder if you don’t have time to make your own bone broth.
Bone Broth has been around for centuries as our ancestors used every part of the animal for something. The bones and marrow, tendons and ligaments, skin and feet were boiled and cooked for days so that it could be consumed. The simmering process causes the release of healing compounds like glutamine, collagen, proline and glycine. These bone broths contain easily absorbable minerals like magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, sulphur and silicon. They also contain glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate which today can be found in every health food store to help keep joints healthy and reduce inflammation.
Chicken soup broth was studied by the University of Nebraska Medical Center to determine why eating chicken soup makes people feel better when they have a cold or flu. Interestingly, researchers found that the amino acids that were produced when making chicken stock reduced inflammation in the respiratory system and also improved digestion. It was also determined that chicken broth boosts the immune system and helps heal arthritis, asthma and allergies. However, the health benefits of chicken soup broth are not found in store bought broths or bouillon. To reap the benefits of the bone broth, you have to make it from scratch or purchase a protein powder made with bone broth. This powder can be added to your smoothie or any baked snack.
Bone broth stock whether from fish, chicken or beef can provide amino acids, collagen, gelatin and other trace minerals. Bone broth contains dozens of nutrients that would otherwise be hard to get from other foods. Now let’s look at some of the amazing health benefits of bone broth:
- Bone Broth is awesome for joint health because it is full of collagen which helps restore cartilage.
- Bone Broth is great for gut health and helps with the growth of good bacteria in the gut. It supports healthy inflammation levels in the digestive system.
- Bone Broth has collagen which makes elastin which keeps your skin looking young. It helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles and decreases puffiness. It can also help reduce cellulite!
- Bone Broth helps metabolism. Glutathione, Glutamine and Glycine all help muscle and tissue health
- Bone Broth helps detoxify the body by helping the digestive system expel waste and supports the liver’s ability to get rid of toxins.
Bone Broth helps your entire body from your brain to your gut. It also helps your joints, muscles and your metabolism. It’s low in calories and is packed with minerals that can improve your overall health! I’m sold on bone broth and I’m going to keep a supply of chicken soup broth in my refrigerator!